NST supports and promotes 25 government-funded research institutes in the fields of science and technology.
Supply of Government-funded Research Institute(GRI)s’ excellent human resources and equipment; life-cycle support of R&D work based on companies' demands; resolution of shortage of high-level research human resources to reinforce R&D capabilities and to create research job opportunities for scientists and engineers, while GRIs serve as advanced R&D bases
* GRIs' “family companies” refers to the small and medium-sized companies selected by GRIs as those having high growth potential. They include partner companies and shoulder-to-shoulder companies.
* Other family companies are classified as 'regularly supported companies' and 'technological problem-tackling companies.'
* Educational programs about individual GRIs' expertise and common research capabilities are provided in connection with the Korea Institute of R&D Human Resource Development (KIRD).
* The period of support may be extended once, by three years.
|Item||Governmental support||Companies' share|
|Initial 3 years of company support||50% of the standard wage to the supported human resources is provided by the government.||50% of the standard wage to the supported human resources is provided by the company.|
|Extension for 3 years*||40% of the standard wage to the supported human resources is provided by the government.||60% of the standard wage to the supported human resources is provided by the company.|
* Base annual salary: annual salary paid by an originally affiliated institution prior to dispatch.